If you have a vacation home, you can bet guests will be sure to follow. Entertaining visitors goes beyond tasty treats and great conversation – it’s about offering them a comfortable and relaxing space to enjoy the company! Here are 10 planning and decorating ideas that create an inviting space for your guests that’ll be sure to make your next get-together a successful retreat.
1. Everyone deserves a little space. A vacation home can bring everyone together, but don’t underestimate the need for a little privacy sometimes, too. Though we’d never admit it out loud, sharing every minute of every day together can get old quick, let’s face it! Why not preserve everyone’s nerves by designing a private space into every bedroom. Consider using a rotating wall bed like the LGM Tavolo – the fold-down work surface turns any bedroom into a den during the day, but it magically transforms into a comfy queen bed at night – without removing anything from the bookshelves. Bonus – the desk will come in handy for all the thank you notes your guests are going to write!
2. Go BOLD. Vacation homes are an opportunity to use a color palette or print you wouldn’t dare to try in your everyday setting, so embrace the fun! Bring in decorating ideas like geometrics or stripes and don’t be afraid to mix and match bold colors. We have a plethora of fabric and finish options to choose from, and our designers on staff can hold your hand as they expertly guide you out of your comfort zone.
3. Expect the unexpected. Chances are company will manage to follow you to your getaway abode, sometimes when you least expect it. Be ready with back-up sleeping solutions like the Kali Duo bunk bed and extra seating like our magical Cubista so no one has to resort to the floor.
4. Too many cooks (never.) One of the best parts of sharing a vacation home is that there are too many chefs for one kitchen! That’s right, you don’t have to do it all. You don’t even have to do most of it. If you’re lucky, you can get away with doing nothing more than telling funny jokes and opening bottles of wine because your guests are fighting for a spot at the stove to show off their favorite family recipes. In times like this, you’ll need plenty of comfy barstools and perching spots for the friends who aren’t on cooking duty, and that’s where the Plurimo extension table in counter-height, and the Live Stacking Barstool comes into play. Unstack and spread out around the kitchen to keep your guests company before dinner, stack them back up and place them in the corner when dinner is ready to serve. Genius.
5. Slipcovers are your friend. Select durable fabrics for your interiors that can stand up to all the activity of friends and family. Snow from the slopes or sand from the beach is inevitably going to find its way indoors – let your fabric do the heavy lifting so you don’t have to worry. All of our sofa wall beds come slipcovered for easy fabric removal and care.
6. Bring the outdoors in! What better way to kill two birds than with furniture that works just as well indoors as it does out! Our Kelly dining chairs and Babylon stacking chairs are every bit as appropriate around the dining table as they are on the deck, and no need to check if anyone’s still wearing a damp bathing suit.
7. Make room for one (or many!) more at the table. What better way to welcome unexpected company than with a dining table that expands to suit the evening’s needs! The Goliath table starts off as a compact console table, but grows to seat four, or six, or eight, or ten with each added leaf. No need to turn guests away when flexible furniture easily makes room for more at a moment’s notice.